Town Council has adopted a vision of a sustainable Kentville that “is a healthy, vibrant, integrated and complete community where citizens can live, work and play in an environment that supports a high quality of life”. The Town’s Integrated Community Sustainability Plan (ICSP) is consistent with this vision and sets out the Council’s long-term direction in the following goals:
Economic Sustainability Goals
- Working with regional partners to support the local agricultural economy.
- Building on Kentville’s role as the service centre of the Annapolis Valley.
- Encouraging diversity and entrepreneurship in the local economy.
- Supporting good infrastructure planning, policies and practices.
Social and Cultural Sustainability Goals
- Promoting downtown revitalization and safe and accessible public spaces.
- Recognizing and planning for demographic diversity.
- Managing sustainable community growth through planning and policy.
- Encouraging active transportation and a pedestrian-friendly community.
- Encouraging the diversification of community recreation, arts and culture.
Environmental Sustainability Goals
- Working regionally & locally to ensure safety & quality of water resources.
- Supporting regional initiatives to protect and maintain agricultural land.
- Promoting conservation and renewable energy in the community and region.
- Working with regional partners to restore the Cornwallis River.
- Supporting efforts at all levels to reduce greenhouse gases and air pollution.
- Supporting regional initiatives for climate change planning and adaptation.
- Continuing support of solid waste-resource management and public transit.
The ICSP is a touchstone and overarching document for other elements of corporate planning for Kentville, such as the strategic plan, annual budget and operating plans, five-year capital investment plan, and land use planning. Kentville has a history of regional collaboration and cooperation, so it should come as no surprise this is also an inherent part of the ICSP.